*Excellent* article on the nature of consciousness and
whether it can be measured accurately in The Atlantic:

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2013/01/awakening/309188/?single_page=true

The basis of this article is not "What is consciousness
per se," although it touches on that, but "What is
consciousness when a person is supposedly anesthetized,
and undergoing an operation?"

I use the word "supposedly" above because there is a
little-discussed phenomenon called "intraoperative
recall" or "anesthesia awareness." Imagine that you
are having an operation, and you suddenly wake up on
the table. You can hear the surgeons' voices, feel
them cutting and sawing away inside you, but your
eyes are taped closed and your body is paralyzed, so
there is no way to communicate this to the doctors.

Sadly, this is not the script of a horror movie, but
something that happens to an estimated one out of every
1,000 surgery patients. Naturally, many of the people
that this happens to develop symptoms of PTSD after the
operations.

But, as horrific as all of this sounds, it has launched
fascinating research into the bigger question -- What
*is* consciousness, and how do we tell whether it's
present or not present?

Fascinating read. Edg will probably love it. Or hate
it. Hard to tell with him.  :-)