--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Susan"  wrote:

> Barry, I think you have mentioned this before - about how
> Rama really encouraged women to become independent and
> strong. This good. And things are changing so for young
> girls these days at least in the West.
>
> But the fact remains that many men are indoctrinated by
> their culture to treat women poorly, to keep them in lower
> wage positions, to ignore their needs, and to pay them
> less for similar work. It is great that some women refuse
> to accept all this, but it takes lots of effort to do this,
> to go against the cultural norms (many of which are really
> subtle and go unnoticed). Women often have to work harder,
> put more time and energy in, and get pushy just to get
> equal rights in any area of life. It is tiring and not
> possible for some people especially if they are raising
> children and must put their energies there, too.

I agree with everything you have said.

> It is not easy, and not for some types of people in
> particular, introverts and such. Also, some women, like
> men, are not all that talented, they just want fair
> treatment for what they do at work and in life, too.
> they wob't be president of a company, ever, nor should
> they have to push for that just to be treated fairly.

I hope my point was that these women I knew were
treated fairly because they refused to entertain the
idea of *not* being treated fairly. Rather than
dwell on the obvious -- that misogyny and discrim-
ination exist -- they focused on what they could
personally do to not be affected by it. True, that
is not everyone's path in life, but I confess to
being more impressed by those who just get all Nike
on misogyny's ass and "Just Do It," rather than
talking about it.

*Admittedly*, somebody's got to talk about it, to
get it before the eyes of a dumb public so they'll
become more aware of the problems. But you'll have
to excuse me if I believe that a few good *examples*
of women bucking the system and succeeding *anyway*
possibly does more to resolve the problems than
bitching about the system.

> So great for your women friends, and I agree success is
> the best remedy for the women and for society. But let's
> recognize that it would help and is not being whiny or
> demanding on the part of women if they want society and
> men to behave differently. It should not be a burden
> only on women to succeed in spite of the unfairness
> around them. Society should help out, too.

Agreed. And I hope that it does so. At the same time,
I cannot help but applaud my friends who found a way
to step out from under that burden and succeed anyway,
long before society got clueful enough to help them
out.

I'm in the peculiar position of helping to raise a
four-year-old girl in this world. The other people in
my extended family are in charge of teaching her genteel
manners and other things, but we've all pretty much
agreed that I'm going to be the one to teach her
martial arts.

Starting early. If I do a good enough job, she will never
have to use them to defend herself in her entire life.
But they'll teach her balance, in many ways. And knowing
that she *could* defend herself will IMO add greatly to
her self confidence and her ability to find her own way
in life, safely and successfully.