They should have called it a misdemeanor, given him a fine and told him to be
good from now on. The idea that he "stole" academic articles is a little
strange, anyway. If you have a printed book, and I steal it from you, then I
have the book and you do not. But if I "steal" articles from the JSTOR
database, those articles still remain in that database, exactly where they were
before.