--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" wrote:
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, turquoiseb wrote:
>> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Share Long wrote:
>>>
>>> Yikes! Then maybe I didn't really understand what Xeno was
>>> saying. Xeno, what did you mean? My interpretation was that
>>> the placebo effect can enter an individual's system by many
>>> avenues, meaning of the individuality: ego, emotions,
>>> thoughts, physical imbalances, environmental factors, etc.
>>
>> And if he did so he is correct.
>
> If that is what he meant, I wouldn't dispute it. I don't think
> he's saying what Barry says below, but he can chime in if he
> wants and clarify.
>
> It's Barry who is trying to mislead you by misrepresenting the
> point I was making, which he has chosen not to address. I've
> made that point clear in other posts, so I won't go into it
> again. Basically it has to do with discriminating between what
> sorts of activities and results can be said to involve the
> placebo effect and which cannot. Quite obviously it's
> inappropriate to claim, as Barry did, that the results reported
> in the study that began this discussion are a result of the
> placebo effect. It appears that Barry read no more than the
> headline before making his claim.
>
> All of what he writes here is intended to distract attention
> from my point.

Strictly speaking, the placebo effect deals with a medically inactive substance
that is promoted to the patient as a cure for what ails them. We do observe
what appears to be analogous responses in other venues. I generalised the
concept. This is what you do in science. A limited effect is observed and
verified. A scientist then wonders if the effect extends to a wider realm. Thus
specific observation and induction lead to a general rule in a limited case.
Extrapolation and induction make the attempt to generalise the concept further.
While planetary orbits do not at all resemble the world of quantum mechanics,
the idea that electrons orbit a nucleus of protons and neutrons, once those
particles identities were well established, allowed further advances in
knowledge even though electron orbitals proved very unlike gravitationally
bound planetary orbits. What I was doing was extending the idea of the placebo
to a generalised 'anticipation response' that presumably would operate on
similar mental and biological principles by which the body and mind respond to
a given situation in the context of a strongly held belief, even if that belief
is total nonsense. In terms of SCI, that religious doctrine in the disguise of
science, it is a move from point value to infinity.

We see the same idea, analogously, in spirituality. We say that in a world of
specificity and multiplicity of things and concepts, there is an unbound,
nonspecific value, which if experienced, will give us more freedom. At first
that value, if experienced, is very momentary. Eventually, the story goes, it
becomes more contiguous in time, and eventually subsumes all experiences, a
path of evolving experience that goes from specific values to a totally
unspecific quality of experience, in which there is no longer any path of
progression possible. One of the interesting results of this is people can
experience life becoming meaningless because the dominant quality of experience
becomes nonspecific (that is a spiritual trap, but it happens to a lot of
people). The ultimate meaning of one's life becomes inexpressible. Both
experientially and intellectually, the move from specific to general results in
the specificity becoming less meaningful as context expands. At one time the
electric force and the magnetic force were specific separate realms, until
Maxwell found a way to show they were the same. Quantum electrodynamics and
quantum chromodynamics have subsumed these concepts further. If the story is
ever finished, one only needs know one thing to know the nature of all things,
and the specific values become uninteresting to argue about.

An 'anticipation response' seems like a general concept that would be valuable
to investigate. Crooks make use of this placebo analogue to bilk marks. Bernie
Madoff did this quite well with his Ponzi scheme. Advertising makes use of it.
You get a person to belive a particular idea, and then the tendency to
anticipate will flow behaviour in a particular direction. This is how people
are controlled by what they believe - can't think out of the box. We all fall
into this. We all have cultural biases we are not even cognizant of that
fashions our thinking in particular channels, and if we are not aware of them,
these behavioural rigidities can be used to control us, or even if no external
forces impinge on us, can subvert our own desires. Conditioning runs deep, and
even with a lot of experiential unboundedness, it can be hard to break down.

Expansion of experience is kind of like a spiral, investigate specifics,
generalise, investigate new specifics, then generalise again and again in an
ever-widening fashion. You make no progress in understanding if you remain on a
limited level of specifics. That does not mean you ignore specifics, because
they have to fit into the larger scheme in a particular way to be of any value;
they have a definite part to play. But imagination and extrapolation, which is
potentially fraught with error, is necessary to move into a larger realm of
experience and understanding, and that means at times, you have to temporarily
push the specifics under the rug, out of sight for a while, before you return
to see how it all comes down, after you have stretched the boundaries beyond
what you previously knew.