I think Salyavin addressed all these issues better than I can - but reading the
Thom Knowles bio is very revealing to me.

And the whole thing really challenges the TMO to an opportunity to either come
out of the closet or be honest for a change.

Meaning - if all or most of the "scientific" research has been truly conducted
by non-TM practicing independent researchers on the mantra practice we cal TM,
and Knowles and his teachers teach the same mantras, taught in exactly the same
way, then the research applies to Vedic meditation too.

If the three days checking, puja and so forth are part of the "Holy Tradition"
that Marshy got from his Guru Dev, then it really can't be trademarked or
copyrighted. If on the other hand, it is something that M made up, then it can
be copyrighted and trademarked and proves that the Big M was a liar.

And so on and so forth with regards to rounding course which the Vedic
meditation teachers also offer, sidhis instruction and so on - so I bet it will
be interesting to see what the outcome of the legal deal will be.

I have never met Thom, but from his video and his advertising materials he
seems to fit the profile that I have mentioned here on FFL before - that a some
of the former TM teachers who strike out on their own set themselves up as
little Maharishis  - Knowles in fact calls himself Maharishi - wonder if Rick
will interview him on BATGAP?