 From: turquoiseb <no_re...@yahoogroups.com>
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 2:26 AM
Subject: [FairfieldLife] The Citadel, or How Wingnut America Would Do Heaven On
Earth

Fascinating. This has been foretold in science fiction for decades, but it's
interesting that someone is actually trying to do it. I say let them, allow
their dream castle to become populated with people who think that it would be
their version of "heaven on Earth," and then seal them in forever.
Voila...wingnut problem solved.

http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/2013/01/the_citadel_project_iii_arms.php?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+tpm-news+%28TPMNews%29

Excerpts:

"Something that I can't predict, but am hoping for, is a greater level of
 social interaction," the organizer, who blogs under the names Vernon
and VJ, wrote. "Neighborhood barbeques, musical jam sessions and plays at the
amphitheater or the Citadel Society club house, interest groups, clubs,
organized and spontaneous activities of all sorts. I enjoy board games,
myself, and used to go to a game club every Friday night. We'll have
some great pubs with local brews, walking and bicycle paths, a firing
range you don't have to drive a half hour or more to get to. Maybe a
hill with a rope tow for sliding down on inner tubes in the winter time.
Militia training will also have a unifying social aspect to it."

"Imagine living in a community where you know that residing in every
single home in the neighborhood are people who think much as do you,
respect most of the values as do you, and will not try to force any of
their values on you or your children. Imagine living in a neighborhood
where you know every single neighbor on your street, in your
neighborhood, and in the entire town, has qualified Riflemen inside,
ready to come to your aid at a moments notice, whether to help you
change a tire, fix a problem, or cover your back in a firefight with an
Enemy of Liberty."

According to the project's blog, The Citadel, if completed, will feature
 the following: the III Arms Factory, a curtain wall and towers, a main
gate, a town green named after the Battle of Lexington leader John
Parker, a town hall, a community armory, a firearms museum, a farmers'
market, a medical center, a retirement facility, schools including a
boarding school, a library, a tourist visitor center, a town center
featuring retail and commercial spaces, houses, canals, a lake, ponds,
firearms ranges, an archery range, sports fields, a hotel, a bank (III
Bank), churches, a power plant, underground shelters, a post office, a
fire house, a stockade/jail, a biomass plant, walking trails, orchards,
gardens, parks, an outdoor pavilions, a large amphitheater, something
called a "command and control center," a media center, an airstrip, a
helipad, a shuttle system, and a parking center. A bird's-eye artist's
rendering of the project gives off a strong medieval vibe.

Per the project's Patriot Agreement, which every would-be resident of the
community must agree with in
writing, an armed citizenry and a trained militia will also be important parts
of life at The Citadel. All residents over 13 must be proficient
with both rifle and pistol, and each household will have to provide one
"able-bodied Patriot" for once-a-month militia training and support. (In its
branding and literature, The Citadel refers often to the idea of
the three percent or "the III," an allusion to the idea that only three
percent of the Colonial population participated in the Revolutionary
War, a statistic the Anti-Defamation League has called "not particularly
accurate.") Every "able-bodied Patriot of age" within the Citadel will also be
required to maintain one AR-15 style
semi-automatic rifle, five magazines, and 1,000 rounds of ammunition.

"The model will be similar in many ways to that of Disneyland," reads one
 section of The Citadel's FAQ. "It is walled, gated, private property
with controlled access. People pay to enter and agree to the rules
because they see value in doing so. It is all based on a voluntary
agreement between the owners of the property and those who want to come
inside. Millions of people visit Disneyland and interact peacefully.
It's exceptionally rare to hear of any serious problems. The key is that
 those people want to be there and understand what is expected of them.
Surprisingly similar to what we are doing."

So who are the real people behind The Citadel? While many project
participants use pseudonyms online, a few individuals can be pointed
out.Miller is the most public face of the project. His LinkedIn page gives his
current job as a construction control representative [day laborer] with the
Department of Veterans Affairs. Past jobs listed include positions as a
facilities engineer [janitor] at Lockheed Martin and an electrician [janitor
with electrical tape] at the
Department of Defense.