The term "puja" means "worship".  Many Indians will refer to daily
meditation as "puja."  There is or was a puja shop here in the Bay Area
in Fremont.  I even knew the owner.  She had all kinds of supplies and
books for puja ceremonies.  The TM initiation puja is cobbled together
from several traditional pujas and some custom ones.  Some pujas are
very long and can go on for as much as an hour.  Those are considered
for the "general public" and not for "yogis."  People who practice
"yoga" or meditation are considered yogis.

Indians infer all kinds of things to a puja but the effect is just
physics.  Mantras a resonance patterns and just like a piece of music
will work on you when hearing it so will when thought internally and the
same paradigm is at work with mantras. Continually repeating rewires the
nervous system to support enlightenment or give one certain powers.
These "powers" or siddhis also work from the realm of physics.  Nothing
"magical" about them.

The problem has been that too many TM'ers haven't learned much outside
of the movement which very much limits an understanding of these
things.  However, I did know people very true to the TMO who regardless
still attended astrology symposiums and discussed other paths with
teachers from those paths.  It's easy to keep TM in it's "package"
because there isn't much there to keep in a package.  And it is also
interesting to find similarities and differences from other traditions.