Something to that, especially around here, with micro-climates, mountains, bay
and coast, all within a few miles. I hit black ice twice, on curves, and tore
up the car I was driving, both times. Can't see it in the dark, and the
steering goes inop - very scary.

Also driving in San Francisco, which has slightly more hills than Holland, I
was driving on Judah, parallel to Golden Gate Park, and someone ran a stop sign
on my right, and they were suddenly halfway in front of me, and I was about to
crash into them. I jerked the car left instinctively, and they must have seen
me by then, and braked. Made it through unscathed, though driving in the City
can be crazy time.