--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Emily Reyn  wrote:

> I think I will give this a try...I don't have that particular natural
> affinity either, but it would be an excellent exercise for my brain in
> exploring its capacity for communicating different perspectives, if only to
> myself.

Exactly, it is a neuronal challenge that makes us younger inside.

< We haven't all internalized great pitch, however; I think that is skill is
inherent to how the brain HEARS and differs between people.  I had a good
friend in band, years ago, who always played flat...she couldn't hear the note.
We went to go see a Peter, Paul, and Mary concert and she sang every tune with
them, out of key.  Drove me crazy! Ha. >

Yes you have a point.  I am not sure if some people are the exception or if she
was just not being directed to pay attention to the right thing.  But I still
maintain that poor student performance comes back to the teacher.  And of
course there are exceptions to every rule.  But for most of us we have
everything we need to play music or draw.  One great line from one of my books
is that if you have the ability to notice that a picture in hanging crookedly
on the wall, you have what you need to draw.  As I continue to refine my
pictures, adjusting a little here and there I really get what they mean. The
process is simple, but you have to isolate what to pay attention to for it to
be relevant.  That is where the instructional techniques come in.

I have taken a photo of Son House and put him in a plastic sleeve that I drew 1
inch squares on.  Then I made a light pencil line grid on my drawing paper.
This guide is helping me SEE the simple shapes I need to focus on to draw this
picture so much better.  It gives me a reference frame to compare the simple
shapes in each square to.

One of my goals is to fill my walls with my sketches of the bluesmen and women.
 It is a great modest, yet challenging level to work toward.  Everything I draw
now has a slight hinkiness to it.  But as I learn to settle down and take time
to compare what I have drawn with what is in front of me and adjust it, I can
see that it is possible, if just beyond my reach yet.

A perfect kick my brain's ass challenge for this decade of my life!