That was interesting Jim.  So it may be hard to relate to someone who lacks
this ability to draw things as they appear.  So maybe you can help me with this
question:

After you have the ability to realistically represent things on paper, what is
it that allows someone to interpret what they see in a more abstract way?  You
touched on this with your description of how you challenged yourself with
colors.

I keep thinking that faithful representation is just the start of this process
to express something meaningful through visual art.

In time, I discovered my musical style, it just naturally emerged from my
preferences.  I guess this also happens in visual art.  My only reference
experience is with digital photography which I took pretty seriously.
Especially when paired with the post processing artistic choices of Photoshop
afterwards. But drawing is on another level for me so I have a lot to learn.

High five on the complete artistic enrichment you get from music and visual
arts.