Carol me and many of my long term TM friends could care less if we're
enlightened.  But I want to respond to your exchange with Emily about
backpacking, walking the dog, etc.

I remember the first time I meditated in March 1975 I thought, oh, I've had
this
before.  It was very familiar to me.  From sometimes getting in the zone
 when I played sports.  Sometimes snoozing in the hammock in the backyard
 after work.  Sometimes from dancing to my favorite music.  Body surfing!
Sometimes from
 marijuana.  And I definitely wanted that relaxed but alive experience
in a natural way.  I think that's what I get with TM.

I really like
Maharishi's analogy for this:  meditating is like dipping a cloth in the dye
where the cloth is your nervous system and the dye is Being or pure
consciousness or what Doc calls Silence.  Then engaging in daily
activity is like putting the cloth in the sun.  The color fades, but not
completely.  What color is left after fading in the sun, that color is
permanent.  Then dip in dye again, then fade again, over and over until
one day the color is totally permanent.  Being or Silence is permanently
experienced along with all other states.  Maharishi calls it restful
alertness and for me that phrase captures its quality of being both settled and
potentially full of activity.

I'd say practicing TM makes the whole process not necessarily faster but more
reliable.