I think common sense should prevail that it's not just some meaningless word.
If it's a meaningless word, then essentially I should get the same effects from
chanting red, tree, ball, bicycle, etc....

As far as TM being a Hindu practice, I often wonder where else anyone thought
it came from?  If it's not a Hindu practice, was it developed by some guy on
the streets?  A professor in a labratory?  A Zen Bhuddist? (unlikely, since MMY
& GD were both Indian).  When I was at MIU, most of us were convinced we were
practicing a skeletal form of Hinduism dressed up and labeled as 'science'.  It
certainly didn't bother me then, and doesn't bother me now even if it is hindu.
 TM did change my life and is the primary instigator of my interest in
spirituality.  Without it, I would've had no interest in spirituality to begin
with.

seekliberation