--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Share Long wrote:

> Steve I always bow to your wisdom and expertise in terms of happy
marriage which it's obvious you and your wife have created.  Your
relationship skills are also obvious here.Â

Can you say more about how marriage has to do with simply taking a vow?

I am just saying, that that is where it starts.  And hopefully you have
done enough due diligence to know that you are committed to make it
through the rocky times, which are bound to come.

, and   Many simply take a vow and yet at least 50% of marriages end
in divorce.  Lots of experts have weighed in on the whole thing.Â
One of my favorites is Dr. John Gottman of the Love Lab at Univ of
Wash.  They have an accuracy rate in the 90 percentile range in
predicting which marriages will last, based on observation.Â

One key aspect involves a 5 to 1 ratio, 5 positive interactions for
every negative one.Â

Well, that makes sense.  In my case, even though we knew each other, and
dated for two years, there was still quite a period of adjustment as we
came from two different backgrounds, and had different religious and
political beliefs.  And over time that ratio changed, and has become
more in line with what is a predictor of a successful marriage.

> Maybe it makes you smile because you simply live the day to day
reality of having achieved a happy marriage.  But some of us have to
think about these things (-:Â

Well, you work at it every day.  And some days are easier than others.
But it helps to know that you are committed to each other.  Without
that, you don't have much.

> ________________________________

them.  But if either of us is stuck, not growing, then eventually
familiarity and or sameness will give rise to an experience of someone
not being interesting.
> This has sort of piqued my interest. It has so much to do with
romance, and love, and long term committments, and what makes for a long
term relationship.
> With regard to marriage, I think a lot of it has to do with simply
taking a vow.
> For some reason this whole idea makes me smile. There are just so many
factors that make a relationship last. And yes, spiritual and emotional
growth have a lot to do with it, as well as being willing to change, and
accept your partner for who they are as well.
>   I like how Ammachi says that Love is never bored.  I
notice when I'm what I'll call in the zone, I'm not bored, even if
everything and everyone is the same on the surface of life.ÂÂ

> > ________________________________

psychosis/paranoia/schizophrenia or something in that ballpark.

> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, turquoiseb wrote:
> > >
> > > These folks remind me of people like Robin, who assume that
they're
> > > actually interesting enough that people would want to tune into
their
> > > lives full-time.
> > > Cases of 'Truman Show' delusions on the rise as more people
believe
> > > they're the stars of their own reality TV programsReality TV shows
are
> > > making increasing numbers of people convinced that they're the
stars of
> > > their own, unwanted television programs.
> > > Psychiatrists are treating more people for so-called 'Truman Show'
> > > delusions -- named after the 1998 movie starring Jim Carrey as a
man
> > > who spends his entire life unwittingly at the center of a
fictional
> > > world that's being broadcast to millions of homes.
> > >
> > > The startling cases often afflict successful people who develop
> > > paranoid fantasies that they're being filmed at all times and that
the
> > > world that's in front of them isn't real.
> > > [Truman Show]
> > > They're being watched: People suffering from 'Truman Show'
delusions
> > > believe they are the star of a TV program like Jim Carrey's
character
> > > in the 1998 movie
> > >
> > > Their friends and loves ones are actors. The news they see on TV
is
> > > made up to control the way they think. The things that happen to
them
> > > are merely events staged for the amusement of others.
> > >

> > > The result can turn disturbing and even violent.
> > > In 2009, Anthony Waterlow killed his father and his sister in
Australia
> > > because he believed they were broadcasting his life to the world
as
> > > part of a game show to either murder him or convince him to kill
> > > himself.
> > >
> > > During a psychological exam, he specially mentioned 'The Truman
Show,'
> > > according to the Sydney Morning Herald
> > >
> > -20110412-1dcpz.html#ixzz1wHr2bspd> .
> > >
> > > [Truman show]
> > > Affliction: The paranoid suspicion of being spied on has driven
some
> > > people to violence -- even murder -- in event years
> > >
> > > In 2007, psychiatrist William Johns III allegedly assaulted a
> > > 2-year-old and his mother in New York City after he left his home
in
> > > Florida because he 'had to get out of the Truman Show' that he
believed
> > > was filming him in his home town, according to ABC News
> > > .
> > >

> > > Drs Joel and Ian Gold, researchers at New York University and
McGill
> > > University in Montreal, respectively, recently published a series
of
> > > case studies about suffers of 'Truman Show' delusions.
> > >

> > > Their article in the journal Cognitive Neuropsychiatry
> > >
> > > , followed five patients who believed their lives were the center
of a
> > > secret TV show.
> > >

> > > One patient traveled to New York City and walked in a federal
building
> > > and demanded to see 'the director.' He said he had to come to
Manhattan