> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu <noozguru@> wrote:
> <snip>
> > Regarding meditation, my late tantra guru always said "if you
> > don't feel like meditating then don't because nothing will be
> > gained from the meditation."  In TM it was treated more
> > devotional and skipping frowned on.
>
> FWIW, I never heard there was anything "devotional" about
> doing TM regularly.

Doing TM regularly - quite obviously with zeal - means to devote ones time to
it:

de·vote  (d-vt)
tr.v. de·vot·ed, de·vot·ing, de·votes

1. To give or apply (one's time, attention, or self) entirely to a particular
activity, pursuit, cause, or person.
2. To set apart for a specific purpose or use: land devoted to mining.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/devote

In the above definitely #1 is applicable

devotion [d&#618;&#712;v&#601;&#650;&#643;&#601;n]
1. (often foll by to) strong attachment (to) or affection (for a cause, person,
etc.) marked by dedicated loyalty
2. (Christianity / Ecclesiastical Terms) religious zeal; piety
3. (Christianity / Ecclesiastical Terms) (often plural) religious observance or
prayers

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/devotion

#1 is applicable here, as in TM there is an attachment to the practice . In
part also #3.

> It was supposedly a matter of the
> effect on the physiology, like the standard (not just in
> TM) recommendation to eat and go to bed at regular times.

Non sequitur.

> TM was also compared to brushing your teeth. It wouldn't
> make any sense to say, "If you don't feel like brushing
> your teeth then don't because nothing will be gained
> from brushing them."

Well, there is a difference of opinion here. It's obvious, that while some
people get out a lot of their meditations, there are others that don't - for
example Ann, and yet others who are mostly daydreaming or dozing.