So you're a big business apologist. :)

Cliff wrote:

>There are many corporations of much larger than 200 people who can
>trace their existence back hundreds of years.  Your implication that only
>a *fool* or a *megalomaniac* would ever take on the task of leading such
>an entity betrays your intense anti-business bias, I would suggest, and has
>very little to do with reality.

I've been a manager in company, have you?   I know the reality very
well.  Company size was an issue of intense discussion.   We watched as
the company CEO fell out of control when it was taken public and grew to
over 400 people.  We also saw this happen with other companies.

In my case I wound up with 24 people in my group to manage.  Now anyone
who knows anything about management that it is difficult to manage a
group of any more than 8 people.  This has been recognized in the
military for years.  I had to create yet another layer of management
with 3-4 managers under me  of those 24.   But it is also a good idea to
keep the number of layers low.  In its better days Hewlett-Packard was
considered a great place to work because they only had 3 levels of
hierarchy.

>If big business is so horrible and run by such truly awful people, why do
>you drive a car?  Why do you fly in airplanes?  Why do you use dish-washers
>and vacuum cleaners?  Why do you shop in grocery stores rather than pluck
>your own weeds?  Every day you willingly, gladly and completely unthink-
>ingly use thousands of products which could only have been produced by
>long-lived, stable, efficient companies of vastly more than 200 people.

These days a lot of these things are assembled from stuff supplied by
smaller companies.  It's been that way for some time.  I'm not saying
that every large business does that but  many do.

Also when we have smaller companies then they employ more people and
employment becomes less of a problem.  People enjoy working in smaller
companies than large ones as the retain their identity and know more of
the people they work with.

Then we have the issue of corporations which have become psychopathic
and destructive to the society and the environment.  It would be far
better to limit corporation size, rights and life span as we did in the
US prior to the Civil War.

Some of this psychopathic behavior is due to companies going public.
They begin to work for the investor and not the customer.  Often doing
so they lose what made them successful in the first place.  There is a
saying, "before going public you work for dollars.  After going public
you work for quarters."

Have a nice time working at Wal-Mart. ;-)
<snip>