I also agree with you about trips eventually taking a turn toward the
dark side.
I'm convinced that taking a top-end psychedelic can  give one a genuine
experience of the divine - a gnosis of the divine Mind. The trouble is,
when you take the drugs you're also trying to escape your everyday self
and its everyday boring routine. You want to squeeze the maximum
pleasure from the experience and twist it to serve your own desires and
fantasies. The divine is indifferent to our ego games and one's
repressed fears can't be held back for long and so come to the surface
nightmarishly magnified by the effect of the psychedelic.
Me too: when I'd had a bellyful of taking acid then trying TM seemed
like the next natural step. And so it proved . . .

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Carol" <jchwelch@...> wrote:

> Hey Doc,
>
> Sometime in this past week I read one of your responses on a thread. I
forget the thread now. But I recall the essence of your response. (I
couldn't respond at the time because I had carpal tunnel surgery this
past Monday, 2/18, and wasn't able to really type and now can't remember
where you commented. Sorry bout that.)

> Anyhoo...you stated something to the effect that a person's experience
when under the influence of a psychedelic drug mirrored that person's
internal state. (Again, going by memory ... so if I mis-understood,
please correct me.)

> In my experience that isn't always true. An example would be the
drug/herb jimson weed. Every experience I've ever read/heard has always
been horrid hallucinations. (I danced with jimson weed when I was 15
years old and can atest to its horrors.)

> As far as other psychedelics, they each had their own nuance in my
experiences. For example: Mescaline often made me laugh a lot. MDA made
me horny. LSD afforded psychedelic sensory distortions.

> I'm of the opinion that different chemicals evoke various hormones (or
whatevers) to respond...and thus a certain drugs/herbs can cause bad
effects (bad trips) or good effects (good trips).

> I do think whatever one experiences within the good trip or the bad
trip comes from somewhere in the person's psyche...but the drug used
helps determine if what is pulled from the psyche is pleasurable or not
pleasurable. (Hope that makes sense.)

> Eventually all my trips tuck a turn toward the dark side, which was
probably a blessing because I gave up tripping. Hmmm....that is when I
turned to TM by the way. Ha.