On 02/27/2013 04:38 AM, navashok wrote:
> Is the description from David Lynch's website more honest?
>
> Where does the TM technique come from?
>
> The Transcendental Meditation technique is thousands of years old—it
> comes from an unbroken tradition of meditation instruction from ancient
> India. Maharishi Mahesh Yogi first introduced the technique to the West
> over 50 years ago. It was Maharishi's idea to subject the TM technique
> to scientific scrutiny in order to establish its practical benefits to
> daily life. Maharishi has trained tens of thousands of TM teachers who
> are providing TM instruction in all parts of the world. In a recent
> cover story on science and meditation, Time magazine recently credited
> Maharishi for the revival of meditation and yoga in the U.S. and around
> the globe.
>
> http://www.davidlynchfoundation.org/about-tm.html <Where does the TM
> technique come from?    The Transcendental Meditation technique is
> thousands of years old—it comes from an unbroken tradition of
> meditation instruction from ancient India. Maharishi Mahesh Yogi first
> introduced the technique to the West over 50 years ago. It was
> Maharishi's idea to subject the TM technique to scientific scrutiny in
> order to establish its practical benefits to daily life. Maharishi has
> trained tens of thousands of TM teachers who are providing TM
> instruction in all parts of the world. In a recent cover story on
> science and meditation, Time magazine recently credited Maharishi for
> the revival of meditation and yoga in the U.S. and around the globe.
> http://www.davidlynchfoundation.org/about-tm.html>
>
> Also no picture of Maharishi on the whole website, but a watermark image
> of David on every page.
>
> Where did the TM technique come from?
>
> The Transcendental Meditation technique is based on the ancient Vedic
> tradition of enlightenment in India. This knowledge has been handed down
> by Vedic masters from generation to generation for thousands of years.
> About 50 years ago, Maharishi — the representative in our age of the
> Vedic tradition — introduced Transcendental Meditation to the world,
> restoring the knowledge and experience of higher states of consciousness
> at this critical time for humanity. When we teach the Transcendental
> Meditation technique today, we maintain the same procedures used by
> teachers thousands of years ago for maximum effectiveness.
>
> http://www.tm.org/meditation-techniques
> <http://www.tm.org/meditation-techniques>
>
> Btw. the www.TM.org <http://www.TM.org>   website seems to have received
> an overhaul.

There is nothing that unique about TM. If you learn some mantra shastra
you can see that. Maharishi started out with a more conventional
technique for the masses. The later set of mantras almost look like they
were inspired by ayurveda. Perhaps Swami Lakshman Joo suggested the
newer scheme to him.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: