--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu <noozguru@...> wrote:

> You're lucky at your age a company will hire you. In the
> US you would be considered "over the hill" regardless of
> how good you are. Hell, you would be "over the hill" if
> you were even 20 years younger. That's how screwed up
> jobs are in the US. They're rather hire someone cheap with
> 5 years of experience than someone with 6 times even though
> in the long run it saves money because the person with 5
> years experience might take 3 times as long to do the
> project or screw it up entirely.

I understand. The client would not be able to hire me as
an employee, because the mandatory retirement age in France
would forbid it. But as a consultant I'm fine. Go figure.

I also come with a track record that the client values,
because the project is so high-profile. I have a proven
history of having a Protestant Work Ethic in a country that
does not necessarily value them. I simply don't miss project
deadlines; never have, in my entire career, and never will,
even if I have to invest double the hours they're paying me
for to achieve that.

Plus, this is a team on which I will be the senior person,
working with a number of less experienced people and at
least one intern, so they're hoping I'll provide a bit of
leadership. And *without* having to be a project leader
myself, which is of interest to me, because I've been there
done that with that, and I'm a really shitty manager. I'm
best as a "hired gun" and as an advisor, and in this gig
I'll get to be both, without having to get bogged down in
endless meetings and red tape and bureaucracy.

All good, as dem Chrisschuns say. :-)