One of the things that bugs be about "Ripper" is that it was shot more
like an American TV series instead of a British one.  "Copper" was done
a little like that too.  I first noticed this difference in
cinematography with the UK seires "The Prisoner" back in the 1960s.
Most US TV shows had lots of close ups and few master shots.  "The
Prisoner" had a lot of master shots and medium shots instead of
close-ups during dialog.  It looked more like a movie.  Likewise
"Utopia" was shot that way and even in scope (another thing which would
keep it of US networks).

Only a few years after I worked with a couple of entertainers who had be
guest stars on some US TV shows including "Star Trek". They told me that
doing TV was easy because of those close ups. You didn't need to act
just deliver your lines.  Acting also has to do with what you are doing
with your body.  So to save money US TV shot a lot more close-ups just
to make sure that no actor blew his body language in a scene.  With the
advent of widescreen TVs and many of us own larger than 27" sets that
kind of cinematography looks ridiculous or as some cinematographers like
to say, "shots only a dentist would enjoy."

Maybe it's the tradition of the UK having Shakespearean actors though
from commentaries I've learned that not all UK actors have been brought
up in that discipline.