 From: Mike Dixon <mdixon.6...@yahoo.com>
To: "FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com" <FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, March 5, 2013 7:49 PM
Subject: Re: [FairfieldLife] Re: Question for TM Cheerleaders

By the way, M used to say, in regards to mantras used in TM, that they are
*meaningless sounds who's effects are known*. Many are closely associated with
Saraswati, the goddess of learning. I would assume that these particular
mantras stimulate the ability to learn and comprehend abstract thinking, the
ability to understand the Veda. He also explained that experiencing a mantra on
it's grossest level had one effect while experiencing it on it's subtlest had a
much more powerful effect. The analogy he used was you can throw a rock at
someone and bruise him or you could excite the atoms in the rock and vaporise
him.< To answer you question below, Judy had it right, the instructions used in
TM, teaches you how to get out of the way so that transcending can naturally
happen. Their is nothing you can *do* to make yourself transcend. It happens
automatically if you get out of the way. Most other meditation techniques tell
you what to do and how to do it and
 tell you to focus on the instructions. Focus, concentration, requires effort.
Effort makes the mind active and the idea of TM is for the mind to become less
active while remaining alert. When you say, other instructions are *not much
different*, THAT is the key here. Any effort, what so ever, retards the process
of transcending. Getting checked , even after decades of TM, is beneficial
because just hearing those same instructions after many years can be perceived
differently and could have the effect of *greasing the skids*, causing less
*friction*. My best meditations are when the *bottom falls out* and there I AM.