TM is actually only half of the Contemplation Technique. The Contemplation
Technique requires picturing your deity in your mind while repeating a mantra.
Picturing your deity - "focus" - eliminates the spaciness associated with TM.
While the Contemplation Technique is not quite so charming, it is better for
effectiveness in activity. The Contemplation Technique is a known 30-40 year
path. So then the question is: How long is the path for only half of the
Contemplation Technique - for TM? The path seems to be a least 30-40 years or
longer. The other question is: Without the other half of the Contemplation
Technique, does one end up in the same place that one would end, without
picturing his deity in his mind? If he becomes enlightened, with what does he
have an affinity? In addition to being only half of the Contemplation
Technique, unless one follows some other religious instruction to keep himself
oriented in a righteous direction, it seems that one could become, to quote the
characters from a popular movie, either Saruman or Gandalf?