A couple of points:

1) TM was a fad in the 70's and the organization was growing unsustainably
fast. I had an email conversation with Peter McWilliams a few months before he
died and he said he was warning MMY that the [then current] growth was
unsustainable. Trying to reconcile how much TM cost when 35,000 people a month
were learning TM in the early 70's with today's pricing without taking into
account that the TM fad phase passed by about 1976 is rather unrealistic.

2) The David Lynch Foundation has taught several hundred thousand people TM in
the past few years, and my impression is that the rate of teaching is
accelerating. The price for the DLF is 1/5 what it is to the average person and
the average person can get about a 60% scholarship from the DLF and local TM
centers, if they ask nicely.

3) Which leads to another point: the TM organization, from what I have seen,
would rather teach one person who continues the practice throughout their
entire life, than 100 people who stop after 1 month. Setting the price as high
s they have eliminates dabblers (unless they are ultra-wealthy) from even
bothering to enquire if there's a way of lowering the price.

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Xenophaneros Anartaxius"