--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Xenophaneros Anartaxius"
<anartaxius@...> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Emily Reyn <emilymae.reyn@> wrote:
> >
> > This is a beautiful picture.  Can you believe I just finished this book?
> > Eben Alexander refutes all this in the later Chapters of this book - he
> > addresses this supposition of hallucination specifically by making the very
> > real point that his neocortex was not functioning, amongst other things.
> >
> How would he, in that state, know whether he even had a neocortex? Someone
> had to feed him this information. Neurologists point out that even in states
> where the patient seems to be in cardiac arrest, there is some slight
> activity that keeps a small amount of blood flow to the brain. In these
> emergency situations, there is no electroencephalographic monitoring of the
> brain, though that might be introduced as additional controls someday. No one
> has figured out just when a patient has the NDE in these situations as they
> cannot point out they are having an experience, so currently there are a lot
> of unknowns about these experiences. Those that believe in NDEs assume the
> brain is not functioning, but this is unknown except in the case where the
> patient does not revive, and then of course they do not report an NDE. These
> kinds of experiences often occur under very specific circumstances where a
> patient or a subject is not in a life threatening situation such as cardiac
> arrest, which is why scientists very substantially question whether they have
> any 'supernatural' component at all.

In the first big study of NDE's it was discovered that of
the people who meet relatives only two thirds meet the already
deceased. The rest meet people who are still alive, which underlines
the wholly subjective nature of the phenomenon.

And there isn't much in it that I haven't experienced from meditation
let alone hallucinogen experiments. It's all in the mind guys...