Thank you to Doc, Alex and noozguru for all the great info.  Let me tell you of
my adventures yesterday with Verizon the Obsequious.  For my first foray they
used the Bold Strategy of having me be hung up on while waiting for Customer
Service.  But being the dauntless lass that FFL has made me, gratitude all
around, I dialed in again, waffled through the automated menu and this time got
an actual person!  Christian.  Christian who kept putting me on hold.  And then
thanking me for being patient when he returned.

Dear Christian of course had no way of knowing that I loathe and detest when
someone, even in 3D life, thanks me for being patient.  What in God's name
makes them think I'm being patient?!  I'm pure pitta for God's sake!  There's
not a patient bone in my body.  Instead I follow Mark Russell's advice that the
secret of patience is to do something else in the meantime.  Now that's a
strategy dear to any pitta's heart.  But back to Verizon.

Then Christian passed me to another person, Michelle.  Michelle with the Bad
Customer Karma, where Bad refers both to the Customer, Me, and to her Karma.
Anyway, she made it clear how lucky I was that we didn't have to wait 72 hours
to access my account history.  They quickly located my December 2012 balance
which was $208.25!  But, you gotta love how the buts keep coming, but I had to
buy another month for $15 to even find out if they would credit my account!  So
I did.  Then she announced the total fee, $16.38 which dismayed me because for
8 1/2 years, as I told the hapless Michelle, the monthly amount with taxes was
$16.05.  She floundered about, probably thinking at this point that I was a
test customer.  Rather than simply a testy one ha ha.

We soldiered on, she put me on hold again, thanked me again for about the 6
billionth time for being patient and then informed me that the amount was not
only too high for her to authorize but also too high for her supervisor to
authorize!  Talk about cults!

Soooooooooo, I will have to wait, patient person that they think I am, probably
another 72 hours to see if I get the $208.25 credited back to my account.  They
now know that I got other options.  But if they don't do what's right, by gum,
I'm outta there and may they spend my $224.63 in good health.  Poor little
Verizon, I had no idea they were so strapped for cash!