This discovery of the Default Mode Network is interesting stuff. Sort of a
consciousness equivalent to the autonomous nervous system.

Maharishi used to talk about identification, how we get lost in the flower in
front of us. Aside from a natural mini-rapture at the sight of a flower, he
seemed to be saying that when stressed, the awareness disengages from the DMN,
when engaged outwardly, aka, the lights are on, but nobody is home.

The solution appears to be having conscious access to the DMN, regardless, or
possibly a matter of healing the DMN so that it informs us constantly, fully
integrated either way.

Theoretically, once the DMN is fully functioning, it serves the same purpose
that instinct does in lower animals, allowing for a more graceful, less
troublesome existence.