--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Emily Reyn <emilymae.reyn@...> wrote:

> What I liked about this book was that I assumed the author did not have a
> background or belief system that was guiding his experiences - so it gave his
> experience a different sort of credibility for me -

Me:  I don't believe this is an option for any of us.  It gives too much weight
to our conscious beliefs and not enough to the cultural programming as well as
our cognitive habits. (Such as instantly ascribing conscious motives to even
inanimate things.)

We soak in the archetypes, myths and stories of our culture.  I've certainly
made an attempt to rid myself of many beliefs, but the conditioning runs to
deep.

And that goes double for any experience like altered brain functioning though
illness, injury or drugs.  Altered states are altered from our usual mix of our
conscious attention habits, so we fall back on more primitive images and
impressions.  Just as people experience "God" though the filter of their
exposure culturally to specific versions of the idea, (allowing that Hindus
might experience Jesus, who they have heard about, but not Zeus if they had
not.)

And then we have archetypical images that seem to go between cultures and about
which we understand very little, but have been pretty well described by Anthony
Campbell as well as imaginatively (some of it unwarranted IMO) enhanced by Carl
Jung.

Mother and child love and intimacy is so deep in us.  Father's seemingly
invincible protective power runs across cultures.  And not surprisingly, under
the conditions of altered states, they pop up with a full narratives embedded
in the full blown experience.

So I am thinking that none of us are innocents and belief-free.  I read about a
study that showed that atheists are no less vulnerable to ascribing agency to
coincidence events than religious believers.  That really made me laugh, but it
is so true.  We may think it through differently after the fact, but in the
moment the connection emerges unbidden and uninfluenced by our more conscious
beliefs.  Conception always guides even our experience of a chair as a chair.
How much more of an influence there must be under the conditions of altered
states.