The only thoughts that I have had recently is that science has not been
around that long and so it would seem to me that for most of human
existence one had to rely upon a subjective means of gaining knowledge.
Studying the stars and constellations was certainly a form of scientific
investigation, and some good knowledge came out of that.  But having
read some of the eastern (Vedic texts) as you probably have, I am struck
by some of the detailed descriptions of our body and also our
environment that could only have been gained by a subjective means.

The other thought I had, is that gaining knowledge by a subjective means
is certainly a short cut to learning.  Yes, if there is no means to
validate it, then you can't present it as a fact.  But if you are soley
dependent on what science comes up with, then you must wait each day to
see what new fact comes out.  And that fact that may contradict a fact
that came out the day before.  Of course, this is how science
progresses, but some people may be impatient, and want some answers
right away.

What might be an example of this?  Well, an easy one might be matter and
fields.  I think many ancient text have referred to this concept, of
matter arising out of fields, or vibrations, and now it seems to be
something embraced by modern physics.

That seems to be how it works generally.  Someone has a cognition of
sorts, whether it be about gravity, or electricity and then then they
set about trying to prove or document it.

And of course I go by my own experience and the small cognitions I, and
probably most people have on a daily basis - some big, and mostly small.
I would call this the faculty of intuition, and over time, I have come
to rely on this faculty as a pretty reliable means of gaining knowledge,
and on which I may base my actions.

But again, I suspect you operate in much the same way.   (-:

<curtisdeltablues@...> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "seventhray27" steve.sundur@

> > <curtisdeltablues@> wrote:
> > snip
> >
> > > There is nothing to defend about these subjective experiences
unless
> > they are claiming that they are more than that. I am not trying to
prove
> > that there is no other world. I don't know. But I am saying that we
have
> > not learned something new from this type of experience that should
make
> > us more confident about an afterlife than the dreams we may have
enjoyed
> > before waking up this morning.
> >

> > Sure. What I have noticed, for me lately, is that the subjective
means
> > of gaining knowledge seems to be picking up steam. And of course, it
is
> > subjective. It so happens that it seems to also have applications in
> > the practical world. But for the most part, I am happy to keep my
mouth
> > shut about it, and let it develop as it may.
>
> We may not be so far apart on this as it might appear. We may just be
drawing different lines. I am also a fan of subjective knowledge, it is
where art comes from. Even in scientific knowledge development the parts
of the brain working on problems often need channels for the creativity
to flow out. So there is a dance between conscious and unconscious that
I believe art accesses to help us use our full creativity.

> You may or may not believe there is a trans-personal component to this
process and I definitely don't see any reason to believe it yet. But it
may well turn out to be a reality in some form.

> Allowing better access to the inner intuition through creative arts is
my biggest interest in education right now. Although my goals are not
spiritual, inner is still inner and I am trying to facilitate it
expressing itself. So if there is a God in there too, he will have a
nice superhighway to roll out pimp'n large with the spinner chrome
wheels on his Escalade.

> Or not.
>
> But either way there are usually ways to test our knowledge that helps
us fool ourselves a bit less. That seems important.