The differences between Mac and PC have become less over time, but there still
are f few.

On the hardware side, it is useful to think of a Mac as a high-end bundled
stereo system where all components are made by the same manufacturer. You're
not going to get the best possible quality at a given price point, but you can
be reasonably confident that at least everything will work out of the box, and
in order to get something consistently better at the same price, you have to
become an audiophile or consult an audiophile. Individual computer speciality
stores may create their own custom bundles, so that is another factoid to throw
into the mix.

On the GUI side, Apple has lost a bit of ground on the GUI due to consistency
issues between Classic Macs and the NeXTOS GUI's combined with marketing issues
where Apple (Jobs) decided that it was better for all Apple products to
standardize on the same GUI, even if the GUI of a portable touch device may not
be the best thing to use with a desktop graphics workstation. PCs, on the other
hand, have certainly improved drastically GUI-wise, since the days of Windows
3.0.

The Operating System of Mac OS X probably is better overall than the current
Windows counterpart, simply due to the longevity of the various Unixes and the
fact that at no time it its history did anyone attempt to design a Unix that
supported legacy software by sacrificing security. Any issues that Mac OS X has
had with backwards compatibility have been due to add-ons outside the kernel
(core software) of the OS.

Dual-booting a non-Apple machine is always going to be a little but problematic
because Apple attempts to thwart using Mac OS X in different ways with each new
OS release so upgrading to a new version of Mac OS X can be tricky on a PC.
Going the other way is pretty easy since Apple also designed Mac hardware to
dual boot Windows and Linux  with no problems and has always (mostly) been
pretty good about easy updates to new Mac OS versions on its own hardware -if
Apple lists your computer as upgradeable to a new OS release, you can be
reasonably certain that they have tested it already. That's not often the case
with generic PCs made by the hundreds of different companies that call
themselves PC manufacturers.

Software comparisons between Macs and PCs are all over the place.

For games, the PC is hands down a winner. Native games almost always run faster
on PCs than Macs; you have more choices of games AND more choices of hardware
enhancements to make your computer a super-stud gaming-wise.

For other software, it is a mixed bag. PCs have far more options, but quality
control, especially for higher end (and extremely low-end) software has always
been a bit better on Macs due to the nature of Apple's relationship, both good
and bad, with developers.

Disclaimer: I have preferred using and programming Macs over PCs for the last
29 years.