> on 9/12/05 11:24 AM, akasha_108 at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >>
> >> Yeah, but funnily enough, I'm not angry either.
> >> What I feel toward Barry is contempt and a
> >> measure of pity.
> >
> > FWIW,
> >
> > Eckhart Tolle would say that such feelings can be a wonderful gateway
> > from object consciousness to "space" consciousness (perhaps space and
> > spacey doesn't have the same "air head" sub-connotation in german as
> > it does in english.  :) )
> >
> > Just being aware of the feeling, keeping awareness gently on it, can
> > bring awareness of the space consciousness behind it.
> >
> > Many teachers say a similar thing.
>
> Byron Katie would also have a lot to say about "turning around"
feelings of
> contempt and pity we may have towards others - recognizing what is
> contemptuous and pitiable within oneself.

The latter, while perhaps a useful tool (I am Katie fan), may not
always be effective to offer up to everyone in all circumstances. It
implies a judgement in that person -- an implication that there is
something wrong with them that needs correction. While that may or may
not be true (turn that around), it may seem confrontational to some,
and simply close off communications, not opening them.

The Tolle approach can be effective in offering up a "gateway" to
something even better than what one is feeling now -- to space
consciousness, and doesn't involve any sort of implied judgement on
the person.