--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, laughinggull108 <no_reply@...> wrote:

> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, laughinggull108 <no_reply@> wrote:
> >
> > The beauty of it for people who know how to do it is the smoothness of its
> > execution. It is a succession of slights that must be performed under
> > increasing scrutiny. The hardest part is to perform it so many times that
> > your muscle memory completely takes over, and your mind now longer follows
> > your movements, but the "story" you are telling.  This is the difference
> > between the guys who can just do it and the greats who are amazing.  When a
> > dilettante like me performs it, you smell something hinky is going on the
> > whole time, even if you can't exactly catch what I am doing.
> >
> > When the masters do it, the practiced effortless and total lack of
> > unconscious tells, turn something as simple as lifting two cards as one,
> > into a miracle.
>
> You just confirmed my theory so now you *have* to believe that I figured it
> out on my own!

This is just the start of how maddening the trick is in person.  You are sort
of suckered by figuring out the double lift.  Then the technique is switched
taking advantage of this expectation.  The impact is lost in the video because
we get so sure of ourselves when it is actually right in front of us.

Most magic tricks are structured this way to let you in a little which gives
you confidence, and then this confidence is used against you again!