from the press release:

�TM may be considered in clinical practice to lower BP.

Because of many negative studies or mixed results and a paucity of available 
trials, all other meditation techniques (including MBSR [Mindfulness-Based 
Stress Reduction]) received a Class III, no benefit, Level of Evidence C 
recommendation .

Thus, other meditation techniques are not recommended in clinical practice to 
lower BP at this time.�

Here is a link to the full report:
http://hyper.ahajournals.org/content/early/2013/04/22/HYP.0b013e318293645f.full.pdf+html?sid=0aea85a1-f240-4b68-8174-07ecc3e2cfec

The only relevant lines from the summary on research on meditation/relaxation 
that is missing is:

"The overall evidence is that TM modestly lowers BP. It is not certain whether 
it is truly superior to other meditation techniques in terms of BP lowering 
because there are few head-to-head studies."

...

In fact the only head to head study on BP between TM and mindfulness that I am 
aware of DOES show that TM has a larger effect on BP than mindfulness.

The TM researchers will be very happy to cooperate with mindfulness researchers 
in establishing "which is better," I am confident. It is the mindfulness 
researchers who don't want to work with the TM researchers, as far as I can 
tell, because the mindfulness researchers don't believe that TM has any real 
effect worth investigating.


L


--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "salyavin808" <fintlewoodlewix@...> wrote:
>
> 
> 
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "sparaig" <LEnglish5@> wrote:
> >
> > 
> > 
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "salyavin808" <fintlewoodlewix@> 
> > wrote:
> > >
> > 
> > > But if they really cared about peoples health - as opposed to just 
> > > banging their respective drums - they'd be singing the praises of 
> > > hand squeezing and slow breathing.
> > > 
> > > According to the evidence anyway....
> > > 
> > 
> > The AHA evaluation was directly on blood pressure, not any other risk 
> > factor for heart disease. If the only thing you were hoping to accomplish 
> > was to lower your BP, then you are correct, hand squeezing and slow 
> > breathing would be better.
> > 
> > But for almost any specific thing that TM is known to affect, I can almost 
> > always find a specific therapy or process that affects that one specific 
> > thing better than TM, so your point doesn't really add anything to the 
> > discussion, as far as I am concerned.
> 
> What it adds to a discussion on HBP is that the TM press release
> was misleading. TM press releases are often misleading (I know,
> I used to help write them) nothing unusual, most companies like to
> blow their achievements up and omit other embarrassing  details.
> 
> If you were recommending a therapy for HBP to someone who didn't
> want to take drugs you would look at the evidence and prescribe
> hand squeezing or slow breathing but you would also urge them to
> get with a traditional drug programme. If you were following the
> AHA guidelines in the paper that is. That's something else my
> point adds.
> 
> 
> > TM, due to its stress-reduction/normalization effect, has a more holistic 
> > effect than anything else that I am aware of (aside from getting enough to 
> > eat and drink and sleep and staying warm in freezing weather -oh, and 
> > having a proper supply of oxygen handy). Have I missed anything?
> 
> You see, you aren't arguing from a scientific viewpoint but from
> a belief based one. It's your *opinion* that TM is "holistic" enough 
> to make it's lack of veracity as a treatment compared to alternatives
> *less* relevant than its ability to fulfill something *you* think is
> important, when someone with HBP might just want something that works
> best for the task at hand and doesn't care if he also gets a glimpse of some 
> allegedly higher state of consciousness.
> 
> 
> > L
> > 
> > L
> >
>


Reply via email to