I am asking this in all seriousness, if mantras like this are effective, why
doesn't everyone in India use whatever mantras would create financial
prosperity and then everyone would have plenty of money?

________________________________
 From: Bhairitu <noozg...@sbcglobal.net>
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, April 26, 2013 3:26 PM
Subject: Re: [FairfieldLife] The American Heart Association Recommends TM for
Hypertension

On 04/26/2013 03:49 AM, Dick Mays wrote:
> The American Heart Association Recommends TM for Hypertension
> (Published online April 22, 2013)
>

> Beyond Medications and Diet: Alternative Approaches to Lowering Blood Pressure
> A Scientific Statement from the American Heart Association
>
> An estimated 29% of American adults suffer from hypertension and it is
> projected to affect >1.5 billion people by 2025. It accounts for 13.5% of all
> deaths and half of all strokes and ischemic heart disease. The global
> hypertension-related public health burden is enormous.
>
> The American Heart Association just published a scientific statement on
> alternative approaches to reducing blood pressure, which included a critical
> evaluation of research on meditation techniques, including the Transcendental
> Meditation technique (TM). Here is what the AHA's statement said about the TM
> technique and other meditation practices:
> “TM may be considered in clinical practice to lower BP.
> Because of many negative studies or mixed results and a paucity of available
> trials, all other meditation techniques (including MBSR [Mindfulness-Based
> Stress Reduction]) received a Class III, no benefit, Level of Evidence C
> recommendation .
> Thus, other meditation techniques are not recommended in clinical practice to
> lower BP at this time.”
> Here is a link to the full report:
> http://hyper.ahajournals.org/content/early/2013/04/22/HYP.0b013e318293645f.full.pdf+html?sid=0aea85a1-f240-4b68-8174-07ecc3e2cfec
>

> The following is a take on the AHA's statement by Dr. Robert Schneider, M.D.,
> leading researcher on the effects of TM on hypertension:
>
> While the AHA statement is conservative, they and other official medical
> councils generally are, especially with vanguard therapies. However, the fact
> that the AHA statement concluded that only Transcendental Meditation is
> effective in lowering BP and that other meditation and relaxation techniques
> are neither effective nor recommended is major. In addition, the AHA
> statement reports that long-term T M practice leads to lower heart disease
> clinical events. This was also not found for any other behavioral
> intervention.
>
> Finally, it is noteworthy that this is the first time in 50 years of teaching
> and researching Transcendental Meditation that it has been recognized and
> recommended by a national medical organization that provides professional
> practice guidelines to physicians, health care payers and policy makers. This
> type of guideline statement has been what insurance companies have been
> requesting from us for many years.
>
> For these reasons, this week's Scientific Statement from the American Heart
> Association may be considered historic.

I'll say it again, lots of meditation programs can reduce blood
pressure.  It's just that TM teachers wear suits.  The AHA doesn't want
to send people to teachers wearing pajamas i.e. kurtajamis which many
Indians wear which are cool in hot weather and American teachers in some
paths adopt.  And then maybe Girish cut loose some big bucks as a
donation to the AHA.

Most meditation programs and gurus aren't concerned about impressing
western institutions.  They have their practices which have worked for
centuries.  The idea that just using a beej akshara is somehow superior
to a traditional mantra would be considered laughable. Example of how
beej aksharas are used in making a planetary mantra for Ketu more powerful:

Om shram shreem shroum sah ketave namah

Base mantra would be: Om ketave namah

Mantras are formulas which are often enhanced by adding additional beej
aksharas.  The technique of enhancing mantras is called samput.