Curtis, you have inspired me to spit out what I learned.  I'm half way through
the post - have to leave this AM and have several appt's today but will work
on it in-between time.  My guess is you know it all and more, but I'll send it
anyway, so you can inform me.

Wonderful that you get to hear what is at the Smithsonian - that is one thing I
learned.  Josh Thomas recordings were not released and were archived there
after Mike's death.  What did he die of?  Sounds like it was a sudden thing.

Yes, I learned something about the lyrics in terms of how folk songs evolve -
you are hip to that.  And I will augment what you say below.

Talk later, Emily