 From: turquoiseb <no_re...@yahoogroups.com>
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, May 1, 2013 3:56 AM
Subject: [FairfieldLife] Les joies d'un petit dejeuner

Americans and Brits (and, to some extent, the Dutch) have this odd idea
about breakfast. They believe that the only way to face the coming day
is after pigging out on as much protein as humanly possible, stuffing
mounds of eggs, sausage, and bacon (and, for the Brits, baked
beans...ick) into their mouths and spending the rest of the morning
trying to digest them.

Me, that just makes me sluggish and sleepy, the *last* thing I want
going for me in the mornings. Besides, my old and metabolism-slowed-down
body is still working on digesting dinner early in the mornings, so I
don't have *room* for all that stuff. So at home I content myself with
coffee and a piece of toast or English muffin or (if I feel the need for
a protein boost) a bagel with cream cheese. That keeps me going just
fine until lunch, without any energy or attention-deficit dropouts.

So France is just My Kinda Place. The French seem to have similar
metabolisms to mine. The cafes may offer un petit déjeuner
Americaine, with all of the above excess, but that's just for tourists.
Real French people content themselves with what is in front of me as I
type this -- a petit déjeuner consisting of coffee, a glass of juice,
a tartine (a 1/4 slice of a standard French baguette, served with jam),
and a hot croissant, fresh from the bakery next door.

Heaven On Earth. Maharishi can keep his version of that term. I don't
need world peace and blissed-out devas dancing the Brahmaloka Suffle in
the streets to have a good morning. And I *certainly* don't need no
spiritual fascists telling me what a "good morning" entails and how I
*have* to enjoy it, trudging through the snow to the Holy Lemming Domes.
Buck might be willing to settle for that shit, but I am not. It's too
damned restrictive. It negates the joys and charms (and yes...occasional
less-than-charming scenarios) of the real world, seeking to replace them
with a fantasy world that does not, has not in the past, and never will
in the future exist.

Here and now exists. And it does a pretty good job of existing, if you
ask me. It's still a little cloudy and chilly here, but that just makes
for comfortable walking, and I plan to do a lot of walking today. My
petit déjeuner will keep me fueled and walking just fine until lunch
time, which I will hopefully spend in yet another sidewalk cafe. My
kinda Heaven On Earth. YMMV.