> hey salyavin, according to the Catholic Church of my youth, once a person is
> baptised they have what is called, an indelible mark on the soul showing
> that.  If I remember correctly, the other sacraments that leave indelible
> marks are Confirmation and Holy Orders.  So in this sense one is never
> really even an ex Catholic.  I * left the Church * when I was 17.  In the
> beginning I thought of myself as an ex or lapsed Catholic.  But that label
> has dropped from my thinking as time goes by.  And sometimes for family
> events, I still attend Mass and Communion.  I admit this probably horrifies
> me half sister who has been a devout Catholic.  OTOH she did ask me to be
> godmother for her youngest so maybe not (-:

Interesting. That's quite a load to put on someone methinks. I wasn't
even christened and so have no deep early programming to make me feel
part of any church but an indelible mark, that's heavy!

I hate it when I hear people say they were born Jewish or Muslim or
whatever because they weren't. We are all born scientists, curious
and open minded but the adult world seems to be in a race to beat
that out of us and as soon as we are set in our ways the poison gets
passed on. My parents were really cool about things like that
and it took me a long time to notice. I Should thank them for being
so irreligious but still very moral.

> I really don't like the word seeker and humanist sounds a little dry.  I've
> read books etc. in which people use the phrase spiritual but not religious.
> But even the word spiritual doesn't sound encompassing enough to me now.
> Does that make any sense?

I don't like anything that sounds new-agey like seeker either,
because I'm not really. I used to be a determined "finder" as
I refered to having discovered TM but I'm a bit more agnostic now.

Same with spiritual as it it sounds like being involved in something
that isn't actually real in the sense that there is some sort of
extra realm to be discovered, when it seems to me that all I'm
doing is refining how I see this one. And even then I don't see how
we ever see anything other than what our head machinery can cope
with in a mechanical sense and we've got evolution to thank for
that. I'm the most materialist meditator I ever met...

> How about devoted Earthling?

Like it. Sounds like an acceptance of reality with an intention
to make the most of what we've got.