Or one could go to Peru and imbibe in ayahuasca.

________________________________
 From: Xenophaneros Anartaxius <anartax...@yahoo.com>
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, May 10, 2013 10:25 AM
Subject: [FairfieldLife] Re: Dome Rot;

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Ann" <awoelflebater@...> wrote:
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Michael Jackson <mjackson74@> wrote:
>>
>> A: I have no good intentions where meditation is concerned.
>>
>> B: It is arrogance typical of people who think only TM is an effective
>> spiritual practice to think TM is the only effective spiritual practice.
>
> I have been away from the Movement and people that practice TM for so long
> now that I wouldn't have a clue if anyone actually believes B (except Buck).
> Are you sure there are many who believe TM is the ONLY effective spiritual
> practice? Seems like a really sweeping assertion. It is one thing to think TM
> is the best practice for you but quite another to say it is the only
> effective one out there. But then you were surrounded by lots of Movement
> people in a different capacity than I was and for me it was a long time ago
> so maybe I am just not remembering the attitude at MIU clearly. I certainly
> never felt that personally nor do I remember my close friends at MIU feeling
> that.

I have known many within the TM movement that felt TM was superior to anything
else, primarily it would seem because that is what Maharishi told them. Many go
through a phase like this when new to spiritual stuff. As I do not have much
contact with a large number of TM meditators now, I cannot say if these views
have shifted over the years. From a practical side, do whatever works for you,
dump whatever does not. Sometimes just sitting and pondering a subject deeply
can lead to insight and transcendent experience. Sometimes just sitting
silently and lightly noticing the breath does the same, or lightly starting a
mantra. Being in certain situations can lead to transcendence, such as imminent
death and you do not die through luck. Some are devotional to a cause or a
teacher. And if you are not interested in spirituality, you do not gravitate to
any of these things. Spiritual meditation could be arbitrarily broken into two
categories - formal meditation
 and informal meditation. Formal meditation is when you are doing a technique;
informal is the rest of the day where your life has a general direction toward
a spiritual resolution (enlightenment) - nothing forced, just a persistent
orientation. In my experience, progress is slow if you just practice a
technique and think it is going to save your ass.