> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "salyavin808" <fintlewoodlewix@> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Jason" <jedi_spock@> wrote:
> >
> > > Newton wasn't exactly "wrong".  Newton's theories form the
> > > bedrock of modern science.  Einstein refined it to the next
> > > level."
> > >
> (snip)
> > In my post though was refering to Newtons determinist idea
> > that the universe would be totally predictable if the
> > starting parameters were known.
> >
> > This is very wrong, quantum physics shows us that the universe
> > is random at its deepest known level and even Einstein hated that
> > idea, "God does not play dice" as he didn't actually say, but
> > it's one of the few things we can say we know.
>
> Key words: "deepest KNOWN level."
>
> God does play dice, but He can calculate the odds to infinity.
>
> Bottom line: When you're talking about God, all bets are off.
>
> > As for the idea that there is balance between order and chaos,
> > it looks like you want to break the second law of thermodynamics,
> > but everything is falling apart, my guess is that it only looks
> > like a balance has been struck because changes take so long to
> > show.
> >
> > Like the idea people have that there is a balance to nature,
> > there isn't. Everything is tearing everything else to shreds, it
> > just looks harmonious because we don't see the extinctions and
> > the vast amount of lifeforms that don't reach adulthood so we
> > can.
>
> There's more than one kind of balance.
>
> CAVEAT: I have no idea if Hagelin is right. I just resist
> on principle ruling stuff out at the God level.

A story from the Sufi tradition:

Two children found a bag containing twelve marbles. They argued over how to
divide the toys and finally went to see the Mulla. When asked to settle their
disagreement, the Mulla asked whether the children wanted him to divide the
marbles as a human would or as Allah would.

The children replied, "We want it to be fair. Divide the marbles as Allah
would."

 So, the Mulla counted out the marbles and gave three to one child and nine to
the other.