Steve, Gosh I lost interest in responding to your other post, however I didn't
want to leave you in the lurch with the sports-fan syndrome.

Anyway I'm sharing some excerpts from this highly confidential research
material.

What is The Sports-fan Syndrome?

Dr. Ravi Chivukula, Psy. D UCLA has defined The Sports-fan Syndrome (SS) to be
a blind loyalty that obscures all rational, logical, intelligent behavior.

Blind loyalty to a person resulting in the subject making careless, frivolous,
reactive statements, coming across as fools, coming at the expense of their
self-respect and dignity.

When others challenge the subject suffering from SS to provide something
rational, intelligent for their loyalty and support they turn turn the tables
on their challengers by distorting the truth, presenting vague, ludicrous,
twisted facts about their opponents and sometimes indulge in downright slander.
SS causes the subject to be totally unaware of their inconsistencies. The
subject is a victim of his instincts under the grip of SS, totally at the mercy
of the sensations caused by the highs and lows of the object of his blind
loyalty. The subject rarely show any remorse and accountability for one's
actions. The subject feels a tremendous draining of emotional energy after the
SS induced behavior.

Dr. Chivukula recommends generous, healthy, daily doses of self-reflection to
deal with debilitating condition. The key he says is preventing this blind
loyalty to occur in the first place. Overtime this disorder can be avoided by
directing this need for indulgence in loyalty to healthy alternatives such as
loyalty to an actual sports team and preventing it from impacting one's normal
life.