 From: martyboi <marty...@yahoo.com>
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 3:42 PM
Subject: [FairfieldLife] Re: Are you in a cult?

Consensus reality is probably more accurate than the word "Cult" which actually
means something like subculture. When you make statements like: "everyone is
crazy", or "everyone is in a cult" - you reduce the meaning of words "Crazy" or
"Cult" to logical absurdities that renders them useless as terms that can be
used in a rational discussion.

When I ask myself questions like:"Do I know anyone who is not a little crazy?"
or "Do I know anyone who doesn't participate in a cult?" The answer is always
"no"  - everyone I know seems a little crazy and everyone I know also
identifies with some group or other. It's really just a matter of perspective
isn't it? I mean to a west coast Bay Area person, such as myself - most people
east and south of here are Obviously Insane ;-)

Therefore as a practical matter, the words "crazy" and "cult" should be
reserved for discussions about people and groups that have behaviors and ideas
that are so variant with society at large that they are rendered dysfunctional
in a major way. (i.e., can't sustain a relationship or a job.)

Having preached that - I actually do think everyone is both crazy and in a
cult...but you won't catch me sayin' it.