Someone brought up CC, and how once attained, PC never leaves. It is true, and
PC also continues to grow and become even more established.

But if it doesn't, and a person has surrendered to their ego, instead, to serve
as that foundation, there is one significant difference. A foundation in PC is
a foundation in silence, whereas a foundation in ego, is a foundation in
stories.

In fact, not really a foundation at all, but a continually reinforced set of
stories that tend to hold the person expressing them, in place, in a fixed
context. He or she is always the hero of all the stories they tell themselves.
Can also work with them always being the victim, the point being that identity
is gained from self-told stories, ego, attachment, vs. pure consciousness.

I was reminded of this reading over TB's comments about himself in relation to
others. Always the coolest, the hippest, the most spiritual, the most
discerning, the most successful, the best taste, and the greatest lover, and
seducer of women (I kinda made the last one up).

He is an excellent example of what I have identified above; stories, stories
and more stories come out of his mouth, intensely fortifying the fables he has
been telling himself for decades.

Oddly enough, if one takes the "stories in my head and heart" route, as a
foundation for themselves, it becomes increasingly difficult to make any
spiritual progress, or progress towards liberation. Despite any techniques
practiced, the stories, and the attachment to them, win out.

So, TB's insights about spiritual life, and even the dynamics of his
personality, tend to be shallow and self-congratulatory. He loves to make his
bed, and then indulgently climb in, and cover himself over with warm layer
after layer of stories.

Funny thing - I often see him as asleep, and yet he believes otherwise,
dreaming deeply on his soft, luxurious mattresses of attachment.