Your reply, and what I posted previously, reminded me of the choice we all
make, once we start down the pathless path. The minute the reliable
transcending begins, the self (ego) and the Self (silence) begin duking it out
for supremacy.

Only two choices:

1) Continue the momentum of transcending all identification, in order to gain
liberation. The mindset is oriented towards getting out of one's own way.

2) Hinder the momentum of transcending all identification. Identify with
objects in the mind that falsely identify oneself. Cheap thrills. The mindset
is one of glorifying the false story of one's self.

The aptly named choice Number Two, is selected inadvertently, either out of a
lack of faith, or misguided intent. We are all taught stories as we are raised.
self awareness grows, until we are oriented as to what our personal, familial,
and social relationships are. After reaching maturity, though, we have the
freedom to chart our own path through the landscape we are now aware of.

If we choose a path to discover a larger world, less obvious than apparent,
what is called the spiritual path, then liberation through surrender is the
only option. It is a struggle either way, but if the self wins out, although it
always thinks it is winning, all is lost.