--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Archer" wrote:

> http://www.foodrevolution.org/blog/former-pro-gmo-scientist/
>
> Former Pro-GMO Scientist Speaks Out On The Real Dangers of Genetically
> Engineered Food Published May 11, 2013 | By Ocean Robbins
>

> By Thierry Vrain
>
> I retired 10 years ago after a long career as a research scientist for
> Agriculture Canada. When I was on the payroll, I was the designated
> scientist of my institute to address public groups and reassure them
that
> genetically engineered crops and foods were safe. There is, however, a
> growing body of scientific research - done mostly in Europe, Russia,
and
> other countries - showing that diets containing engineered corn or
soya
> cause serious health problems in laboratory mice and rats.
>
> I don't know if I was passionate about it but I was knowledgeable. I
> defended the side of technological advance, of science and progress.
>
> In the last 10 years I have changed my position. I started paying
attention
> to the flow of published studies coming from Europe, some from
prestigious
> labs and published in prestigious scientific journals, that questioned
the
> impact and safety of engineered food.
>
> I refute the claims of the biotechnology companies that their
engineered
> crops yield more, that they require less pesticide applications, that
they
> have no impact on the environment and of course that they are safe to
eat.

> There are a number of scientific studies that have been done for
Monsanto by
> [...]
the
> personal opinions of others.
>
> We should all take these studies seriously and demand that government
> agencies replicate them rather than rely on studies paid for by the
biotech
> companies.
>
> The Bt corn and soya plants that are now everywhere in our environment
are
> registered as insecticides. But are these insecticidal plants
regulated and
> have their proteins been tested for safety? Not by the federal
departments
> in charge of food safety, not in Canada and not in the U.S.
>
> There are no long-term feeding studies performed in these countries to
> demonstrate the claims that engineered corn and soya are safe. All we
have
> are scientific studies out of Europe and Russia, showing that rats fed
> engineered food die prematurely.
>
> These studies show that proteins produced by engineered plants are
different
> than what they should be. Inserting a gene in a genome using this
technology
> can and does result in damaged proteins. The scientific literature is
full
> of studies showing that engineered corn and soya contain toxic or
allergenic
> proteins.
>
> Genetic engineering is 40 years old. It is based on the naive
understanding
> of the genome based on the One Gene - one protein hypothesis of 70
years
> ago, that each gene codes for a single protein. The Human Genome
project
> completed in 2002 showed that this hypothesis is wrong.
>
> The whole paradigm of the genetic engineering technology is based on a
> misunderstanding. Every scientist now learns that any gene can give
more
> than one protein and that inserting a gene anywhere in a plant
eventually
> creates rogue proteins. Some of these proteins are obviously
allergenic or
> toxic.
>
> I have drafted a reply to Paul Horgen's letter to the Comox Valley
> Environmental Council. It is my wish that it goes viral as to educate
as
> many people as possible rapidly. Any and all social media is fine by
me.
> This can also be used as a briefing note for the councilors of AVICC
or
> anywhere else. Thank you for your help. [Click here for original
source with
> replies from Dr. Paul Horgen]
>
> I am turning you towards a recent compilation (June 2012) of over 500
> government reports and scientific articles published in peer reviewed
> Journals, some of them with the highest recognition in the world. Like
The
> Lancet in the medical field, or Advances in Food and Nutrition
Research, or
> Biotechnology, or Scandinavian Journal of Immunology, European Journal
of
> Histochemistry, Journal of Proteome Research, etc â?¦ This
compilation was
> made by a genetic engineer in London, and an investigative journalist
who
> summarized the gist of the publications for the lay public.
>
> GMO Myths and Truths - an evidence based examination of the claims
made for
> the safety and efficacy of genetically modified crops. A report of 120
> pages, it can be downloaded for free from Earth Open Source. "GMO
Myths and
> Truths" disputes the claims of the Biotech industry that GM crops
yield
> better and more nutritious food, that they save on the use of
pesticides,
> have no environmental impact whatsoever and are perfectly safe to eat.
> Genetic pollution is so prevalent in North and South America where GM
crops
> are grown that the fields of conventional and organic grower are
regularly
> contaminated with engineered pollen and losing certification. The
canola and
> flax export market from Canada to Europe (a few hundreds of millions
of
> dollars) were recently lost because of genetic pollution. Did I
mention
> superweeds, when RoundUp crops pass their genes on to RoundUp
Resistant
> weeds. Apparently over 50% of fields in the USA are now infested and
the
> growers have to go back to use other toxic herbicides such as 2-4 D.
Many
> areas of Ontario and Alberta are also infested. The transgenes are
also
> transferred to soil bacteria. A chinese study published last year
shows that
> an ampicillin resistance transgene was transferred from local
engineered
> crops to soil bacteria, that eventually found their way into the
rivers. The
> transgenes are also transferred to humans. Volunteers who ate
engineered
> soybeans had undigested DNA in their intestine and their bacterial
flora was
> expressing the soybean transgenes in the form of antibiotic
resistance. This
> is genetic pollution to the extreme, particularly when antibiotic
resistance
> is fast becoming a serious global health risk. I can only assume the
> American Medical Association will soon recognize its poorly informed
> judgement.
>
> In 2009 the American Academy of Environmental Medicine called for a
> moratorium of GM foods, safety testing and labeling. Their review of
the
> available literature at the time noted that animals show serious
health
> risks associated with GM food consumption including infertility,
immune
> dysregulation, accelerated aging, dysregulation of genes associated
with
> cholesterol synthesis, insulin regulation, cell signaling, and protein
> formation, and changes in the liver, kidney, spleen and
gastrointestinal
> system. Monsanto writes "There is no need to test the safety of GM
foods".
> So long as the engineered protein is safe, foods from GM crops are
> substantially equivalent and they cannot pose any health risks." The
US Food
> and Drug Administration waived all levels of safety testing in 1996
before
> approving the commercialization of these crops. Nothing more than
voluntary
> research is necessary, and the FDA does not even want to see the
results.
> And there is certainly no need to publish any of it. If you remember
1996,
> the year that the first crops were commercialized, the research
scientists
> of the US FDA all predicted that transgenic crops would have
unpredictable
> hard to detect side effects, allergens, toxins, nutritional effects,
new
> diseases. That was published in 2004 in Biotechnology if you recall
seeing
> it.
>
> I know well that Canada does not perform long term feeding studies as
they
> do in Europe. The only study I am aware of from Canada is from the
> Sherbrooke Hospital in 2011, when doctors found that 93% of pregnant
women
> and 82% of the fetuses tested had the protein pesticide in their
blood. This
> is a protein recognized in its many forms as mildly to severely
allergenic.
> There is no information on the role played by rogue proteins created
by the
> process of inserting transgenes in the middle of a genome. But there
is a
> lot of long term feeding studies reporting serious health problems in
mice
> and rats. The results of the first long term feeding studies of lab
rats
> reported last year in Food and Chemical Toxicology show that they
developed
> breast cancer in mid life and showed kidney and liver damage. The
current
> statistic I read is that North Americans are eating 193 lbs of GMO
food on
> average annually. That includes the children I assume, not that I
would use
> that as a scare tactic. But obviously I wrote at length because I
think
> there is cause for alarm and it is my duty to educate the public.
>
> One argument I hear repeatedly is that nobody has been sick or died
after a
> meal (or a trillion meals since 1996) of GM food. Nobody gets ill from
> smoking a pack of cigarette either. But it sure adds up, and we did
not know
> that in the 1950s before we started our wave of epidemics of cancer.
Except
> this time it is not about a bit of smoke, it's the whole food system
that is
> of concern. The corporate interest must be subordinated to the public
> interest, and the policy of substantial equivalence must be scrapped
as it
> is clearly untrue.
>
> -- Thierry Vrain, Innisfree Farm
>
> Thierry Vrain is a former research scientist for Agriculture Canada.
He now
> promotes awareness of the dangers of genetically modified foods.
>
> Originally published in: Prevent Disease.

  [Article image]
Post a Comment
<http://www.nationofchange.org/monsanto-protection-act-may-soon-be-repea\
led-thanks-activism-1369061405#comments>  Resize Text + | - | R Plain
Text <http://www.nationofchange.org/reader/38110>  Print
<http://www.nationofchange.org/print/38110>  SHARE
<http://www.facebook.com/share.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nationofchange.org\
%2Fmonsanto-protection-act-may-soon-be-repealed-thanks-activism-13690614\
05>  Email
<http://www.nationofchange.org/monsanto-protection-act-may-soon-be-repea\
led-thanks-activism-1369061405#>
The so-called Monsanto Protection Act
<http://naturalsociety.com/monsanto-protection-act-corporations-power-us\
-government/>  signed into law earlier this year caused such an outrage
that people around the world are planning to protest the biotech company
later this month. Now a United States Senator is
<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/16/jeff-merkley-monsanto-repeal_n\
_3288209.html>  expected to try and repeal that law after mounting
pressure.

The notorious `Monsanto Protection Act' rider stuffed into the
non-related Senate spending bill may soon be repealed thanks to the
massive amounts of activism and outrage that have now amounted into a
legislative charge towards action. Action that has turned into
legislation progress through Senator Jeff Merkley
<http://www.merkley.senate.gov/>  of Oregon, who has announced an
amendment that would remove Section 735 (the Monsanto Protection Act as
its known) from the Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations
Act of 2013 Senate spending bill.

The rider, which almost managed to slip incognito and pass by the alarm
system of the alternative media, grants GMO juggernaut Monsanto full
immunity from federal courts in the event that one of its genetically
modified creations is found to be causing damage to health or the
environment. Essentially, it grants Monsanto power over the United
States federal government. Thankfully, I was able to get on the subject
through news tips and covered the Monsanto Protection Act all the way up
until the bill containing it was signed into law
<http://naturalsociety.com/obama-signs-monsanto-protection-act-into-law-\
after-promising-gmo-labeling-in-2007/>  by Obama.

Most news sources are funded by corporations and investors. Their goal
is to drive people to advertisers while pushing the corporate agenda.
NationofChange is a 501(c)3 organization funded almost 100% from its
readers–you! Our only accountability is to the public. Click here to
make a generous donation. <https://secure.nationofchange.org/?em=2>
Ultimately, as the Monsanto Protection Act became more a hot issue, we
had an increasing amount of publicity — but the Senate vote came
just too quickly for the attention to put a halt on the rider. But even
after its passing, sources like Russia Today
<http://rt.com/usa/protection-repeal-act-monsanto-444/> , NaturalNews
<http://www.naturalnews.com/039668_Monsanto_Protection_Act_Obama_decepti\
on_GMOs.html> , Infowars
<http://www.infowars.com/top-10-excuses-for-obama-signing-the-monsanto-p\
rotection-act/> , and myself here at NaturalSociety were sounding the
alarm big time. Enough so that it even led to an apology from the top
Senator who actually ended up approving the bill containing the rider.

Senator Barbara Mikulski of Maryland actually went and released
<http://www.mikulski.senate.gov/media/pressrelease/3-28-2013.cfm>  a
statement apologizing for allowing the Monsanto Protection Act through
and vowing to fight against GMOs and Monsanto. Ultimately, multiple
Senators had entered damage control after the jig was up. That is
besides Senator Roy Blunt from Missouri, who actually worked with
Monsanto
<http://naturalsociety.com/surprised-monsanto-openly-wrote-own-monsanto-\
protection-act/>  (as in he let them write it while he received funding)
on the Monsanto Protection Act rider. A rider he says is perfectly
reasonable. After all, why not give Monsanto full immunity from the
legal system the rest of us are subject to?

Even Obama was getting blasted on his Facebook
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSHy5eTjcp0>  page following the
approval of the Monsanto Protection Act, with the majority of comments
coming into his page criticizing his signature on the bill that
contained the rider.

Thanks to this activism, it looks like the Monsanto Protection Act may
soon be repealed after this new bill hits Washington. This time, we will
have plenty of time to let the Senators know that they are voting
against the public if they choose to side with Monsanto. And with such a
specific agenda for this bill, I see it doing well in the Senate.