That sounds like change in how the brain functions to me:

"The efficiencies of the affluent brain may trigger the shutting down of what
the
researchers call "pro-social" impulses and lead people toward the kinds of
behaviors that a hedge-fund manager I spoke to characterized as "ruthless."
"They're more willing to hurt others in their quest for money," he said. "When
you look at people who've done exceptionally well, it tends to be the difficult
people."