The thing is...

after the American Heart Association reviewed about 1,000 papers on meditation
that were published in the last 5 years (only about 50 of them were on TM),
they concluded that the non-TM meditation and relaxation techniques (relaxation
response, mantra meditation, mindfulness, samatha, etc, etc) didn't have
consistent enough effects to recommend their practice.

Remember: this is the last 5 years of research, not the last 40. Most TM
research was published more than 35 years ago, while most research on
mindfulness came out in the last 5 years, and still, TM was considered to have
more consistent research.

Wanting people to stay "on program" may have some validity, at least with
respect to high blood pressure.