As a rude followup to my own post :-), but said to forestall
people suggesting "opposites" that I "should" care about and
be attached to, I have zero interest in theoretical questions.
Such as "Does consciousness give rise to manifestation or
vice-versa?" or "Is Einstein's Unified Field the same as what
people refer to when they say "the Absolute" or "Transcendence?"

These questions do nothing for me at all. They don't even
register on my Worth Examining Meter. The reason is that
IMO no one on Earth will ever know the answers to any of
them. Therefore, why bother to even bother with them?

I'm a fairly pragmatic person. If the questions have to do
with how I or other people can lead a happier life and cause
more happiness or fulfillment or satisfaction for other people,
then I'll examine them. If they have to do with Pure Theory,
why bother?

That's just ego-fodder, IMO. Let the egos play with that shit.

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, turquoiseb  wrote:

> [...]
> can't be true. Therefore I shouldn't even waste time thinking about
it."
> Doing this, they avoid the potential distress of CD.
>
> Me, I examine the ideas. I don't owe MMY or his ideas or teachings any
> loyalty, and I don't owe them belief in these ideas of teachings. I
make
> my own decisions. Thus, for me, seemingly contradictory ideas are an
> opportunity to PLAY, to examine seemingly contradictory ideas from
many
> different viewpoints, and see which of these POVs strike a resonance
> with me. I'm not trying to determine "Truth" because I don't believe
in
> the concept. I'm only playing with the ideas to see which seem most
> reasonable to me, based on my life experience and the general
guidelines
> provided by Occam's Razor.
>
> Let me give you a couple of examples. They are both questions that
some
> people feel are "weighty," and that many of them have *very* strong
> opinions about, and thus attachments to. They are: 1) "Is there life
> after death?," and 2) "Is enlightenment real, and worth pursuing?"
>
> For the first, I get to deal with everything I've ever heard or read
on
> the subject, plus my own subjective experiences. I tend to believe
that
> there *is* life after death, and it pretty much follows the Tibetan
> model -- dying, followed by a period in the Bardo. The Bardo period
> includes ALL of other religions' or other belief systems' ideas about
> both Heaven and Hell, but then opens up into a new life in another
body.
> I tend to believe that this is what happens.
>
> At the same time, I have NO PROBLEM examining and thinking about the
> more materialist view, that when one dies there is a big CLICK,
followed
> by eternal darkness, and no more existence. I don't have any problem
> with this, because 1) neither I nor anyone else will ever know which
is
> more correct until we actually die, and 2) if the latter scenario
> happens, there won't even be any "I" or "me" there to be disappointed
> that there is no Next Life. :-)
>
> So I can juggle these two ideas simultaneously in my mind, without
being
> either repulsed by or attached to either. The CD is there -- holding
and
> appreciating opposite concepts -- but there is no distress because I
am
> attached to neither one of them.
>
> Take the second issue, whether enlightenment is worth pursuing as a
> goal. Now here I have somewhat of an advantage, in that I don't have
> deal with the question of "Does enlightenment exist?" I've had
> experiences for weeks or months at a time that convince me it does.
BUT,
> is it worth pursuing as a goal?
>
> Many teachers say it is. Bzzzzzt. I consider none of them
"authorities."
> Many people who claim to be enlightened say it is. Bzzzzzt. I don't
> consider them authorities, either. I've been there, done that with
some
> of the states of mind they talk about and I don't consider them any
> "better" than other states of mind. Like Curtis, I do not believe that
> referring to these states of mind as "higher" states of consciousness
is
> either accurate or a favor to those hearing it. They're *different*
> states of mind, that's all. So there is no belief in a "hierarchy" or
> higher/lower, better/worse for me to pay attention to or consider.
>
> So the bottom line when dealing with this question, for me, is "Would
it
> benefit anyone else on planet Earth but myself to become enlightened?"
> The answer to that, as far as I've been able to determine, is a big,
fat
> NO. Therefore, for me, it isn't worth pursuing as a goal. End of
story.

> I honestly don't know what you think of as cognitive dissonance,
Share,