Yeah the British must have been baffled by Gandhi, what to do with a
masochist who insists on torturing himself, the self-violence, the
passive-aggressiveness. A conundrum every man surely faces with a woman,
you have to surely admit failure. A man can never defeat a woman, he can
only indulge in cowardly, despicable acts like rape.

And the society worships masochists repressing their instinctual cravings
as Mahatmas, as Saints. People marvel at Amma's ability to not pee. I'm
like - give me a break, every Indian woman was conditioned to hold it in
because of the lack of public restrooms, the primitive facilities in India.
Men are shameless and had no qualms about relieving themselves anywhere. I
would be using the restroom and my ex would rush in and unburden herself in
one torrential downpour, I would be like - OMG why do you to have hold it
in for so long. But she couldn't help - it was a habit, she would say - oh
I forgot and here Amma is worshipped for these masochistic feats of
physical endurance - amazing.