Aha!  A Windoze weirdness or maybe HP. You may have accidentally set an
offbeat text character encoding standard.  That was the problem on the
Mac and a subject of several tech blogs on the subject.  And a cursory
search on "Windows weird email characters" will bring up a number links
to articles too.  I'm using UTF-8 in Thunderbird and this post.

I think part of the problem too is that so many software engineers are
assuming everyone is using Rich Text for email these days too.