> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Xenophaneros Anartaxius" <anartaxius@>
> wrote:
> >
> > Barry, HTML itself does not strip out double spaces, the rules simply state
> > that multiple spaces will be *rendered* as a single space. So it has to be
> > the program that modifies an HTML page, something almost all WYSIWYG
> > editors do. While there might be editors, the only WYSIWYG editor I know of
> > that can be set to import HTML and leave the code untouched is Adobe
> > Dreamweaver.
> >
> > Let me try this, this sentences has          ten spaces before the word
> > 'ten'.
> >
> > And this sentence has          one space and 9
> > nonbreaking spaces before the the word 'one'. I actually wrote the escaped
> > entity for the non breaking space, and yahoo converted it when I selected
> > 'Preview' to what looks like ordinary spaces when I switched back to edit.
> > I am not in the HTML editor, but Yahoo does it anyway. Now when I post
> > this, we will see if those 'spaces' remain as visual spaces or are
> > converted to something else.
>
> Above is what your text looks like in the Yahoo Web
> Viewer's "Reply" mode. Maybe. In this view, I see the
> spaces before the word "ten," but in normal reading
> view I did not. And I see the  symbols in both views.
>
> I still think that Yahoo Mail is trying to be "smart"
> by preserving the double spaces people habitually
> enter after periods, but that their "smartness" is
> backfiring on them. I mean, something written in
> one of their products (Yahoo Mail) can't be displayed
> properly in another of their products (the Yahoo
> Groups Web Viewer).

I don't know all the possible variables. But some of them are:

1. The encoding of the web page.
2. The encoding set in the web browser
3. The kind of computer used. Windows, Macs, and Unix and Linux end lines
differently. Windows uses a Carriage Return character and a Line Feed
character. Older Macs use a Carriage Return (the newer systems are based on
Unix). Unix systems use the Line Feed Character.
Normally hidden they can be rendered as a visible character when crossing
systems and the software does not recognise them properly. Other computer
systems have used other characters.

What encoding means is basically a bunch of numbers, zeros and ones in binary
computer code, represent various alphanumeric characters. Different systems can
assign a different value to the same number, so switching between the systems
requires translating those values to the correct representation, and this is
what fails to work often.

 LF:    Line Feed, U+000A
 VT:    Vertical Tab, U+000B
 FF:    Form Feed, U+000C
 CR:    Carriage Return, U+000D
 CR+LF: CR (U+000D) followed by LF (U+000A)
 NEL:   Next Line, U+0085
 LS:    Line Separator, U+2028
 PS:    Paragraph Separator, U+2029

Normally my browser is set to Unicode UTF-8, and the  character in Share's
posts do not show. But if I change the encoding to the Windows character set,
the  character shows.

The Yahoo web pages on the forum do not specify a character set. But there is
JavaScript in the pages that seems to use character set as a variable. That is
they are trying to find out how the user's browser is set:

getDocumentCharset();

Clearly this process is not perfect. Most web browsers have a setting where you
can change the viewing character set from 'automatic' to UTF-8, Windows-1252,
ISO-8859-1 which are the most common. Some of these character problems go away
if you try switching between these three character encodings. Characters that
often cause problems are curly quotes, various kinds of spacing characters, and
line endings.

Especially in the post subject heading there seem to be a lot of glitches with
encodings, so it is probably more reliable not to use quotes (either straight
or curly) or accented characters.