--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "seventhray27" <steve.sundur@...> wrote:

> Sure, I understand Jim.  It's just that I would say that this is such a
> common problem that someone who was an editor as a profession would have
> run into it before.  But maybe I'm wrong, or maybe Judy hasn't been
> involved in the profession for some time.  She reveals almost nothing
> about her life outside of her corrector role here.
>
> BTW, I have been enjoying your back and forth with Ravi.  I think you've
> sort of extinguished that great purifying flame that he feels he
> possesses. Kind of like the neighbors collies who had their vocal cords
> snipped.  They try to let out a big mean bark, but what comes out is
> more a squeak. (-:

I am not Jim.

Editors are more likely to work in a computer office suite - Microsoft Word,
Open Office, Libre Office, or have a PDF editor that is capable of directly
editing PDF files. This usually limits character rendering problems,
particularly because most editors are not involved in translating between
different human languages.

These character rendering problems have to do with HTML (HyperText Markup
Language) and XML eXtensible Markup Language) and SGML (Standard Generalised
Markup Language). Computers have evolved starting with ASCII characters, which
are basically a typewriter keyboard. All other characters have to be 'encoded',
that is, rendered in a special form using ASCII characters. For different human
languages, and even for the same language, there are different sets of
encodings that represent alphanumeric characters, symbols, mathematical
operators, and so on.

The problem is translating between these different sets. They evolved
piecemeal. Some have become international standards with the ISO.

http://www.iso.org/

There is also a consortium that is attempting to codify all human language
character use in a unified way, the Unicode Consortium. Unicode allows all
characters in all languages to be represented in a web page without the
piecemeal character sets, as it attempts to combine them all. You need a
typeface that has all those characters in it though to render the page.

http://www.unicode.org/

This is an ongoing project.

Example - the code page for ASCII
http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U0000.pdf

Example - the code page for Devanagari Script (which developed between the 8th
and 12th centuries)
http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U0900.pdf

Example - the code page for Brahmi Script, which historically precedes
Devanagari (thought to be derived from the Phonetician alphabet).
http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U11000.pdf

Example - Phonecian (which also resembles the Paleo-Hebrew alphabet that was
used before Hebrew script was developed)
http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U10900.pdf

Example - code page for Mongolian
http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U1800.pdf

Example - code page for Emoticons
http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U1F600.pdf

Here is a list of all the work accomplished so far in this regard:
http://www.unicode.org/charts/

As you can see looking at this list, finding a coherent way to represent human
language on a computer is a daunting task, and the work is ongoing to find a
solution. One group (unsuccessful so far, wants Klingon to be part of the
standard).