> Lawson's passing comment about "context" earlier got me thinking
> about truth. Or Truth, if you prefer. Or, if you're even
> stronger in your preferences, The Truth.
>
> In my travels along the somewhat twisty spiritual path, I have
> noticed that a LOT of people are fond of this word "truth."
> They speak of seeking it, of valuing it above all else, of its
> importance to those on a spiritual path. Some speak of "knowing"
> it, and speak as if they reveal it in every word.
>
> And yet, many of these *same* people seem to have No Problem
> holding two completely contradictory truths in their heads at
> the same time, and considering *each* of them Truth.

I don't think this happens often here, at least not as
you describe it above. I think what happens is that you
are constantly on the lookout for ways to put down the
TMers here, and as a result you seize on variations in
what people say as if they intended each of the
variations to be Timeless Cosmic Truth, just so you can
beat them over the head by claiming they believe things
that are completely contradictory--no matter how
reasonable it may be to take different contexts into
account.

Your goal is very rarely understanding; it's almost
always to dump on TMers or others you don't like. (And
ironically, the dumping often requires you to engage in
genuine self-contradiction yourself.)